ADMINISTRATION OF THE REPUBLIC OF SLOVENIA FOR CIVIL PROTECTION AND DISASTER RELIEF
Director General: Darko BUT
Telefon: +386 1 471 33 22
Telefaks: +386 1 471 33 20
The Administration of the Republic of Slovenia for Civil Protection and Disaster Relief performs:
- administrative and professional tasks related to the organisation, preparation and operation of the system of protection against natural and other disasters;
- provision of assistance to local communities affected;
- monitoring, notification and warning;
- the communications and information system;
- assessment of damage caused by natural and other disasters;
- protection against fire and the provision of general rescue services;
- organisation and operation of civil protection, and preparations for and the functioning of the Civil Protection Headquarters of the Republic of Slovenia;
- preparation and implementation of national programmes for protection against natural and other disasters;
- disaster relief, and post-disaster remediation and reconstruction.
Administration of the Republic of Slovenia for Civil Protection and Disaster Relief (hereinafter referred to as ACPDR) is a constituent body of the Ministry of Defence. It performs administrative and professional protection, rescue and relief tasks as well as other tasks regarding protection against natural and other disasters. ACPDR is divided into six internal organizational units (four sectors and two services) based in Ljubljana as well as 13 other ACPDR branches operating throughout Slovenia. Within each branch there is a regional notification centre that performs a 24-hour duty service. Altogether, 330 people are employed at ACPDR branches and notification centres.
Disaster management system is one of the three pillars of the RS national-security system that also encompasses protection, rescue and relief activities. The aim of the system is to reduce the number of disasters and to forestall or reduce the number of casualties and other consequences of such disasters. Due to the geographical characteristics of Slovenia, natural disasters, especially floods, summer storms, fires and earthquakes, are common phenomena. The danger of environmental disasters is increasing due to urbanization and industrialization; however contemporary threats of terrorism and the occurrence of various contagious diseases also contribute a significant part.
RESOLUTION ON THE NATIONAL PROGRAMME OF PROTECTION AGANST NATURAL AND OTHER DISASTERS FOR THE PERIOD BETWEEN 2009-2015 (RENPVNDN)
The National Programme on Protection and other Disasters defines the strategy against disasters for a period of at least five years and provides an outline of activities.
It determines basic goals in the fields of prevention, Early Warninig Sistems (EWSs), IT infrastructure, development of capabilities and includes guidelines on education, training and research projects, as well as funding.
In July 2009 the National Assenbly adopted the programm for the period 2009-2015.
DOCTRINE ON PROTECTION, RESCUE AND RELIEF
The Doctrine on Protection, Rescue and Relief is a document which is comprised of common principles and views concerning professional and operational guidance, organisation, and conduct of protection, rescue and relief efforts in the event of natural and other disasters. The use of common principles provides for a functionally unified and harmonised approach for disaster preparations as well as harmonised and interlinked operations of all those who carry out protection, rescue and relief efforts.
ACT ON THE PROTECTION AGAINST NATURAL AND OTHER DISASTERS
Act regulates the protection of people, animals, property, cultural heritage and environment against natural and other disasters.